Sunday, May 16, 2010

Auf der Flucht...

Strangely enough for an unfailingly law-abiding citizen (not out of any sense of innate morality, you understand, but just a base fear of getting caught), every once in a while I dream that I'm on the run from the law - usually due to a false accusation, abuse in the home, or just wanting to escape the demands of a relentlessly competitive society. The odd thing though is that without exception, rather than being panicked or fearful at the prospect of being tracked down and punished by the law, I actually find these dreams strangely liberating and exhilarating instead...

Last night, for example, I dreamt that myself (as a 13 year old) was on the run together with Dewey from 'Malcolm in the Middle', stopping off at a supermarket to shoplift up on provisions. Unfortunately in this case, Dewey's amateur attempts at petty theft got himself caught, with me as his presumed older sister being hauled up in front of the store manager to explain ourselves - in German of all languages. The kindly store manager clearly suspected there was something wrong with the scenario (namely that we might be two kids fending for ourselves etc), but I successfully managed to put her off the scent by (in German) persuading her that it was just a mistake on little Dewey's part, that I was perfectly ready and willing to pay (luckily I had a stash of presumably ill-gotten cash on me), and that we'd been to this particular shop many times before without causing a problem etc etc...

In the end she decided to let it go, however, leaving me and Dewey to run back to the car (once again presumably stolen, given that neither of us were old enough to drive) and take off, with myself being so utterly stressed out by the whole encounter that for once I let Dewey drive (a rare treat for him, especially since he was the one who'd landed us both in the shit in the first place...).

Clearly behind my diligent, academic, corporate exterior, there is an inner rebel just waiting to break out and recklessly abscond from reality to live by a combination of my wits / petty crime etc - until then though it's filling in my Annual Performance Plan this afternoon and back to work on Monday... Ho hum...


No comments:

Post a Comment